“To awaken quite alone in a strange town is one of the pleasant sensations in the world. You are surrounded by adventure. You have no idea what is in store for you, but you will, if you are wise and know the art of travel, let yourself go on the stream of the unknown and accept whatever comes in the spirit in which the gods may offer it.” ~ Freya Stark
Soulful travel transforms us. It takes us outside of our familiar habits and comfort zones, expands our awareness, and broadens our perspective on life. When we visit an unfamiliar place or a foreign country, we feel more alive and one with the universe. In these sacred moments where our present awareness is heightened, we are feeling, sensing, and experiencing life with our entire being rather than thinking about it.
Soulful travel transports you to another place and time. It offers you new adventures where you have no idea what’s in store for you. Through this portal of possibility, you are more receptive to spiritual insights, revelations, and divine downloads. Such sacred space also allows you see your life from a fresh vantage point.
Here are 5 Sacred Gifts of Soulful Travel:
- You Live in the Present Moment: Travel makes you live in the present moment by taking you out of your element and familiar routines. There are few experiences in life that will inspire you to be still and take it all in like travel can. It’s hard to be reading your latest text message or scrolling through Instagram when you’re having a life-changing experience you’ve only read about. Travel liberates you from your repetitive thoughts and opens your heart to your present experience. It’s as if your eyes are opened for the first time and you become keenly aware of what’s right in front of you, what you are sensing and feeling. Mostly, it helps you unplug from everything that distracts you so you can explore and discover new parts of yourself.
- You Expand Your Perspective: Travel experiences change the way you view life. A change of scenery, whether it’s taking a new way home or seeing the Eiffel tower can do wonders to expand your perspective and change your internal geography. Such experience shifts you from viewing things simply in physical terms to seeing why things happen from a higher, enlightened perspective. Like flying in an airplane and viewing the ground below, you obtain a more elevated, spiritual perspective on your life. Not only will you be more appreciative for your own life, but you’ll also have a new sense of wonder and empathy for those around you. Through such conscious awareness, you can access the spiritual information coming through your heart, and act on it without reservation.
- You Embrace the Unexpected: Travel shows you how to embrace the unexpected, trust yourself, and go with the flow no matter what happens in life. Like a bamboo tree in the storm, such flexibility allows you to bend without breaking. It teaches you how to let go of your expectations, well-laid plans, or agendas. When flights are delayed, suitcases lost, or plans change, you learn to accept the unexpected and see it as a divine gift. When you view what’s happening from this spiritual perspective, life flows easily, naturally and with grace. You learn how to be calm and not get frustrated or upset when dealing with travel issues that most people face. Such resilience is one of the most valuable skills that you can not only apply to traveling, but the rest of your life.
- You Savor the Simple Pleasures: Whether you’re seeing the great pyramids of Egypt or eating a crepe on the streets of Paris, travel teaches you how to savor life’s simple pleasures and its most precious moments. It inspires real experiences of awe, wonder, joy, and inspiration–amplifying the connectedness of all life. Through sacred travel, you experience something positive every day. Dwelling on the positive things in your life moves you toward the tipping point of positivity. As your day begins, repeat the mantra, “I am a blessed being.” Bring to mind three things that you feel grateful for or happy about, even if it’s just being alive. When your day comes to a close, reﬂect on three things that happened during the day that you feel blessed about, and why you believe they happened for you.
- You Appreciate Other Cultures: Travel fosters an appreciation of other cultures and how other people live. Not only will you be more grateful for your own life, it widens your circle of compassion to embrace other cultures. It gives you the chance to interact with people from other ethnicities and countries. Through soaking in the language, customs, and values of a new culture, you become more inclusive and less ethnocentric. Traveling as an ambassador of love makes you more tolerant and allows you to go beyond any arbitrary barriers. Spreading your light can help bring about love, peace and tolerance to all people regardless of culture, religion, or country.
Travel nurtures your hearts, liberates your soul, and expands your consciousness beyond any other experience. Make the journey whether it’s abroad or down the street and you will open yourself to these transformative gifts that will change your life forever.